Remember earlier this month we discussed planning your Splurges! Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This is one of our favorite holidays not only for all the yummy dishes, but because we love spending time with family and friends.
Now for some tips! Here are 7 Thanksgiving Secrets to Safe Splurging:
The best way to beat stress this week is to stay positive and fill your heart with the love and gratitude of the season!
1. Its okay to splurge now and then. Yes! If you’re staying consistent with workouts, you have wiggle room to enjoy yourself and indulge here and there!
2. Don’t let the holiday throw you off track. A splurge is fine… but make sure it stays just that… a splurge. Don’t let yourself fall into that mental trap of giving up on everything you’ve worked so hard for because you took it easy for a day or two.
3. Portion Size Matters. You can sample a little bit of all the tasty treats on your Thanksgiving table without going overboard. Serve out a small portion of the things that look the best. Going back for seconds is okay! Taking a little bit of time between servings will make it easier to choose reasonable serving sizes based on how hungry you actually are instead how hungry you think you are.
4. Quality Counts! If you are preparing the meal or bringing a dish to someone else’s, try to make it something healthy and filling so you know you have at least one option to rely on. If this isn’t an option, just go for larger portions of nutrient dense foods like turkey and veggies, and just sample the richer dishes.
5. Don’t fast for the feast. We want you to eat! Not eating all day before a big meal will actually cause your body to store the fat from the foods when you finally do eat. Not to mention that you’ll be way more hungry and craving larger portions! Instead, stick to small, nutrient dense meals throughout the day including greens, lean protein, fruit and a bit of healthy fats. This ensures you get the fuel you need without going overboard come dinnertime.
6. Walk it off. Thanksgiving morning is a great time for a workout, a 5K!!! If you are running in a Turkey Trot you’ve already got this covered. If not? No problem. Go for a walk in the morning before cooking gets underway and family time makes getting in that workout impossible. Check out The Shut Up A & Run 5K at Treaty Park
The Shut Up and Run 5K is an annual race hosted by Ancient City Roadrunners in St. Augustine every Thanksgiving Day at Treaty Park. This is the 16th Annual run will be open for registration at 6:45 a.m. on Thursday, November 22, 2018, and the race itself will begin at 8:00 a.m.
7. Enjoy yourself! Above all this is the time of year for enjoyment and gratitude. Avoid stressing out about what you are eating for the day. Think ahead and try to make reasonable choices, but if something looks really good… have a bite it is okay!
Need help with your 2019 Fitness Goals Contact Cindy Treaster, Certified Personal Fitness Trainer, Realwomenlift@aol.com or 904-501-5759.